I’ve been keeping track of a number of companies who provide virtual server hosting based on Solaris Zones. Since we occasionally get asked about this, I thought I’d share my personal list. This is not an endorsement of these businesses. In the interest of full disclosure, I was once taken to lunch by David and Jason from Joyent. Sorted alphabetically:
- Avantic Software ("OpenSolaris on Coolthreads")
- BeaconVPS ("Affordable, High Quality Solaris VPS")
- Entic.net ("v.Dedicated Servers")
- Gangus Internet Services ("Virtual Servers for Hosting")
- Joyent ("Cloud Computing with Joyent Accelerators")
- SparseZone ("Superuser control over your own Solaris 10 server, without the hassles
of hardware, OS and software maintenance.")
- Stability Hosting ("Ruby on Rails / Java Application Hosting on Solaris 10 Zones")
I’m pretty sure this list is incomplete. I’ll try to keep it updated as I learn more. Feel free to post (or send me) corrections and additions, and I’ll add them.
Finally, if you are a hosting provider, and want to consider adding zones to your suite of offerings, we’re more than willing to talk, anytime.
Update #1: Added Gangus and Layered Technologies.
Update #2: Removed Layered Technologies (we’re not sure); added Stability Hosting
Update #3 (6/30/2008): Added Beacon VPS (confirmed by email with Beacon)